Friday, March 26, 2010

Questioning some "family's values"


I just took a break from a two-hour-a-day e-mail habit that was sucking the joy from my life by causing feelings of anger, unease and frustration at our current state of political division. I would read, provide stories in an email with some comments and share with a group of readers who asked to get the daily post. Just as I noted why I was taking a break, I then read the following on one of the sites I still visit:
Pam's House Blend: Gay Teen in Georgia Kicked Out by Parents Over Bringing Boyfriend to Prom: Derrick Martin, a gay teenager from Georiga who was inspired by the Constance McMillen cancelled Prom story in Mississippi, asked to bring another boy to prom. His request was approved by the School Superintendent.
A happy ending for the Bleckly County High School student, right?
Wrong. Derrick has been kicked out of his home by his parents now that his story has hit the media:
because of the media attention, Martin's parents have kicked him out and the teen is staying with a friend, he said.
It's appalling this is happening to a brave, bright young man who simply wanted to take his boyfriend to prom. Derrick seems to be remaining strong and is proud of the stand he took, saying:
Maybe (other gay students) will think if Bleckley County will let them, maybe my school will.
I can only say how proud I am of Derrick Martin for the stand he is making and how angry I am at his parents for kicking him out.
I have to agree with Pam, the boy took a stand and, for those who say gays cannot be compared to other groups that face discrimination, I ask how many other minorities do you know who are sometimes rejected by their own families.

1 comment:

  1. If he's 15 or 16, seems like the prime time for battle between parents and their kids (think of my friend and her son). My mother HATED me at 14 or 15, but then liked me again when I was 17-18.

    Still, if you don't have your family, who do you have?

    ReplyDelete