Friday, March 19, 2010

Am I Murray Burns or Austin Powers


I started this blog some time ago, after a few years of perusing the Web for news items and posts that caught my eye. Somehow the daily email I send out that contains articles about politics, spirituality or culture never migrated to here.
Then a crisis of creativity came up in my life -- mainly the lack there of. As a graphic designer, I have always enjoyed my career but find the limitations of it constrictive -- focus groups, design by group, etc. I still enjoy my job but, watching Bill create videos, Web pages, etc. with a real opportunity to express himself makes me realize what I miss (and what I am jealous and frustrated about).
This boiled over when I started writing something to put here (Bill was redesigning his Web page and putting in a link -- OMG, I haven't updated this since December of last year, even a quarterly blog makes this due NOW!).
As I started to write, I felt more like I was creating a trauma list (something a therapist had me do to help me focus on the impact of events in my life), and two figures came to mind: Austin Powers and the idea of wanting my mojo back and Murray N. Burns (A Thousand Clowns: whose line "Neighbors, I have nothing to say." makes me worry -- what if that is me?
Hopefully it isn't so this and other personal and creative aspects of my life are a new focus (hey, resolutions made at the new year often are dropped, but has anyone studied the longevity of March resolves?
Of course, I am still me, so as I try to be a more consistent blogger, politics might creep in every now and then.

1 comment:

  1. Oh joy! I opened this up and thought, "This is gonna be sooooo long." But it's not! Holiday on ice! Blessed brevity!

    I create all that crap but no one looks at it. But it is nice to do the work. I think the "buzzing" in my CNS from the activity keeps me awake, though.

    ReplyDelete